An Epicurean Gathering and a cycle and walk along the Roman Road with Epicurus and Lucretius in my bag

My bag and map on a wayside bench
UPDATE: 26 June 2014. Please click on this link to go to a page where you will find the most recent revision of the Epicurean Liturgy and also links to all the various posts on this little project to create a modern Epicurean practice. 

UPDATE 1 May 2014. The liturgy mentioned below has now been revised a couple of times. For the latest news please click on this link. 

Last night three of us gathered to try out the Epicurean "liturgy" I had compiled a few years ago that I mentioned in a recent post called "An, as yet, only imagined Epicurean Gathering to meditate, to philosophise, and to eat together." It was, I'm pleased to say, a successful and rewarding event. Having  now done it for real a few minor changes have been made. The revised form can be found at the links below:






This morning, with thoughts of Epicurus and Lucretius very much in my mind (and with an edition of their works in my bag) I went out for a cycle and walk along the Roman Road near Cambridge. In a beautiful flower strewn meadow I ate my sandwiches and drank a flask of tea before lying on my back for half an hour to rest and read their wonderful words. Below are a few photos from the ride/walk.

Clock-tower at Wandlebury

Varley's Field Wandlebury

Looking east from Wool Street

Looking north-east from Wool Street

Looking north-east towards the Roman Road along Beech Avenue 

Looking south-east along the Roman Road 

Looking south-east along the Roman Road 

Looking south through a gap in the hedge

The track leading from the Roman Road to Babraham Road 

A farm track looking south 

Roman Road looking south-east

Roman Road looking south-east near Copley Hill

The track off the Roman Road leading to Copley Hill

Roman Road looking north-west back towards Wandlebury

Roman Road looking north-west back towards Wandlebury

On the footpath between the Roman Road and Fleam Dyke looking south-east

Wild-flower meadow where I ate my sandwiches, drank tea, rested and read  

Wild-flower meadow where I ate my sandwiches, drank tea, rested and read  

Looking north-east towards Fleam Dyke


Comments

Yewtree said…
Wonderful photos. I once had an amazing experience on that Roman Road.