If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need . . .

The books in my study
After having spent the morning and early afternoon in my study surrounded by my books (see picture on right) writing my Sunday address, printing up the orders of service and organising the music, it was time to go for a walk with the lovely Susanna, my wife, to the Cambridge University Botanic Garden. Walking around this beautiful place with my book-lined study still in my thoughts a line from Cicero came back into mind:

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need — Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit (To Varro, in Ad Familiares IX, 4).

This afternoon I could not but agree him (I think one needs to add friends, food and shelter but I won't quibble here). We are very, very lucky here in Cambridge to have such a lovely garden to which to retreat and contemplate nature's beauty and human ingenuity and learning. As ever I took a few photos. They're mostly taken on my iPhone 6 using the Provoke app but the final three were taken with the Ricoh GR. They're all straight out of the camera. Just click on a picture to enlarge it.










Susanna taken by me
Me taken by Susanna









And now three final shots taken with the Ricoh GR . . .



Comments